Thursday, January 05, 2006

Microsoft's PR Blunder

I was going to write about this major security flaw in Windows, but Shel Holtz has already done so...and I couldn't have said it better myself. So click over to Shel's blog, A Shel of my former self, to read all about it.

Just one thing to add. (This will only make sense after you've read Shel's post.) I've been following this danger since it was first discovered, via a very cool Podcast I subscribe to, called Security Now. If you haven't listened to it, you should consider it. It's an incredibly valuable collection of programs on how to safeguard your computer and your life from the bad guys out there.

Sure, it's nerdy, but I find it fascinating. And the host, Leo Laporte, and security expert Steve Gibson do a fabulous job of making all this complicated stuff interesting and compelling. I'm addicted. And they were all over this Microsoft problem long before the company said a word. See this posting on Steve's GRC website for all the details.

Update -- Late Thursday, Microsoft saw the light and released their official patch for the WMF problem. So if you're a Windows user, make sure your automatic update is working or go to Microsoft's Update site to get the fix.

No comments: