Wednesday, November 02, 2005

I'd like to think I'm on a super-secret assignment

You know the type...a favourite columnist or personality disappears from view and all that's left behind is the vague reference that they're "on assignment."

"Doing what?" you wonder to yourself..."It must be pretty important."

That's my hope. I've just dropped out of sight after that long car trip back from Boston and I'm sure you've all been thinking I must be off doing something really important.

Alas, it's not really that exciting and in the interests of full disclosure, I'm going to offer you a glimpse of what my reality has become each day.

I'm back in the commuting fast (or slow!) lane. I am up at 4:30 each day to walk the dogs and grab a bit of breakfast, then it's off to the Go train station. I catch the 6:29 out of Aldershot (just outside of Hamilton), and ride it to Union Station, then stay on it for another three stops, finally pulling into Eglinton station in Scarborough at about 7:51 am.

If all goes well, there's a shuttle bus waiting for me, to take me (and the other commuters) to Aviva, which is about a 10 minute drive from the station. That's the morning...if all goes well. Leave the house about 6 or so, arrive at work at 8:15. Lots of sitting around, but not too bad.

Coming home is a different story. I usually catch a shuttle from work at either 3:35 or 4:15. If I catch the 3:35 shuttle, I get on the 4:18 Go train, which takes me to Burlington, hope on a Go bus and arrive at Aldershot at 5:52 pm. Then I drive back home, arriving about 6:10 or so...Leave work at 3:30, arrive home at 6:10 or so. Just about 3 hours!

If I catch a later Go train, my time getting home jumps to about 6:45 or so...

Sometimes I catch a Via train instead, which is a bit more money, but is comfortable and you spend less time in the train. But it doesn't really get me home any earlier...

So...in order to book about a typical 7.5 hour day, I'm away from home for over 12 hours each day. That doesn't leave a lot of time for anything else, unfortunately.

I remain optimistic that once I settle in, working from home will become a bit more of a viable option, but I'll still be travelling plenty of the time. But it's worth it. I doubt I could do this in the long term, but as a short-term contract, it's worth it. The people are good to work with and I'm enjoying the work. So, aside from the commute, it's working out well.

And at least I get to catch up on all my podcasts during those long hours on the train!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I had an interview at Aviva once. Obviously, they didn't invite me back. It certainly is in the middle of Scarborough though..close to the separate neighbourhoods that Paul and I grew up in...I don't envy you your commute but you have a knack of seeing the positive in everything Dave.

Dave said...

You're certainly better off downtown where you are now, aren't you? Thanks for the kind words...and the comment. It must be the way I write but I don't seem to inspire comments all that often. So I thought I'd make a point of replying when someone like you takes the time to leave one.

Paul said...

It has nothing to do with your writing style or skill, Dave. I think it has more to do with the readers -- most are unwilling to write something down because they can't write it as easily as saying it.

Come on people! Everyone has comments -- let them out!