Saturday, November 12, 2005

GooglePrint vs publishers

You've probably heard about Google's plan to index all the world's books. If you haven't, you might be interested.

At first, it sounded like a great idea. Then some publishers and authors' groups stepped in and cried foul and claimed that Google was an evil empire intent on smashing the sacred cow of copyright protection. Sounds like a bad thing, right?

Since I'm a writer at heart and by profession, albeit one who is fascinated by all things electronic, this is a debate I've been watching with interest.

Well, today, I found a great commentary at Wired News by Lawrence Lessig, one of the founders of the Creative Commons licensing scheme, who is someone I think a lot of.

I think he's hit the nail on the head. And his warning of what the result of this could mean for the future of the Internet is defnitely food for thought. Read it for yourself.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Hey Dave - I found this through melanie's blog..who found mine through a long and convoluted method..

"Googlizing" eh? What interests me about Google is that it's fast becoming the primary information search engine for most level one internet users. What happens if they become politically or corporately affiliated? Would that impact Googles "full access" searching?

Anyone controlling my information makes me nervous.

BTW - congrats on the rowing daughters-that's amazing