Monday, July 18, 2005

Apple on the move

There's a lot of stuff percolating out today about Apple heading into the video market, similar to what it did with the iPod and the music business. Here's a story from today's Globe, along with another in MarketWatch.

You might also be interested in Robert X. Cringely's column, which I think is the source for a lot of this stuff. Cringely is always good for an interesting take on things. He's one of my favourite tech writers.

What does all this mean for you and me? Well, I don't have any money, so I can't go out and buy Apple shares, but I wish I had picked some up back about a year ago, just after I got my PowerBook. The company's profit sheet has stayed really good for awhile, and I suspect that if this video thing works out, Apple will stay a good bet.

I'm still bitter about the fact I didn't have the jam to do what I was telling everyone else to do back when Google shares first went public. I thought of converting some of my RRSP stuff to Google shares, but since I don't have a steady income anymore, I didn't work up the courage to do it. Why, I'm not really sure. It was probably as close to a sure thing as anything will ever be...and I knew it! Oh well...I guess the market is not really my thing.

Finally, are you up to date with the podcast phenonomenon? What? You haven't heard of podcasting? It's only...well, never mind. But there is an interesting story in today's Globe about how mainstream companies are lining up to jump on the bandwagon. I think podcasting is pretty cool...I subscribe to several. If you're into it, add a comment here and recommend some of your favourites.

No comments: