Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A good day


A good day
Originally uploaded by Dave Traynor
I want to put together a set of photos from our trip to Haida Gwaii last summer. It's been a long time between being there and starting to work on the photos.

As I was going through some of them (the majority of the photos were taken with my wife's camera, but I did have mine along with me) I was struck by just how gorgeous the weather was when we were there.

We had arrived expecting the normal weather the Queen Charlottes' provides in the summer - lots and lots of rain. Instead, we were treated to a week of glorious sunshine, warm weather and little wind. It as a perfect setting for a kayaking adventure.

We had chartered a boat to transport us around, the Anvil Cove. That's it anchored off in the distance in this photo. It's a great way to kayak - especially when you're a relative rookie with issues about sleeping on the ground, etc. The bunks in the Anvil Cove were perfectly good at night, and the cook onboard fed us great meals.

I like this photo because it sums up the best parts of the trip. The weather, of course, and the spectacular, unspoiled wilderness. Most of the time we felt like we were the only people in the whole park.

I recommend a visit to Haida Gwaii, if you haven't been in your life. It's worth it.

No comments: