Sunday, April 04, 2004

I've got rhythm...

Sunday morning...read the paper, perhaps clean up the kitchen a bit. It's a good time to take it easy.

Of course, since I work at home, I tend to take it easy most mornings. So what makes Sunday any different? Well, it's different for the significant others who live with me. The kids don't need to rush off to rowing, or school. And while my wife usually works on the weekends, she can often get a slower start on a Sunday.

It makes me think about the rhythm of the week as we move from Monday to Friday, then Saturday and finally Sunday. Then we're back into it all over again. There is a rhythm to it all, as one week moves into another, then a month, then a season, then a year. Elton John wrote a song called "The Circle of Life" for an animated movie about a lion cub who doesn't want to take over his Dad's job. Then the movie became a Broadway show and a huge success. I'm sure you know the song and the story. It's easy to make fun of the stuff as sentimental, etc., but Elton (or whoever wrote the lyrics, if it wasn't him) hit the nail on the head.

There is a rhythm to our lives and the way time passes. I think about it every morning, when I sit at the table with my morning coffee. The birds which disappeared last summer are back in full force. The robins are bouncing around looking for worms, the cardinals are zipping past and everywhere I can hear the songs of nature getting back into the swing of things. It doesn't matter what I did yesterday, or what deadlines I'm facing today, this morning, the sun came up and the birds are out, the squirrels are zipping along the fence and the dogs are ready for their walk. And as I sit here, I realize that these are important things to me. And I'm glad I've got the chance to sit here and enjoy them. So maybe it doesn't seem like I'm doing much, but I've got rhythm, and it feels good.

No comments: