Monday, October 18, 2004

Now here's something interesting...

If you're like me, you're spending more and more time using various search functions of the Web. Google has changed my life, probably forever. Someone asks me a question, and the first thing I usually do is head to the computer to find an answer. I'm often amazed how much I can find in a very short time.

But one of the on-going issues for me is that it's tough to find local info in a reasonable manner. Obviously, I'm not the only one, and here's a very interesting piece on Yelp!, a new piece of software that's designed to help us all live better lives. It's an intriguing idea and I'll be interested to see how it works...let me know if you try it.

By the way, Bob Cringley is a fascinating story all in himself...sign up for his regular columns if you like to know what's going on in the Web world. And use things like Google to do a little research into who he is...and what the name of his column is all about. It's a neat story.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yelp sounds interesting, but what if your friends don't know anything either? My problem would be that none of my friends live where I do, so it's pointless to ask them anything...Interesting software though.

Dave said...

As an addendum, I found out yesterday that Yelp isn't available in Canada yet. I tried to use it, but a very nice guy from Yelp told me that they're starting in the US first...but they should be in Canada pretty soon. Guess I'll have to keep my eyes open. I did register with them, though, and they promise that they'll let me know when I can start trying out the product.

Paul said...

Dave,
I tried using this service but when I typed Toronto in the "near" field (they ask where your request needs to be close to), it didn't recognize it. I sent them an email asking if Canadians could use their service. I'll let you know what happens when they get back to me.

Paul said...

Ooops...didn't see your post saying the same thing. Sorry.