Friday, June 09, 2006

Victoria update

I've been remiss in getting around to blogging. There's just been a bit too much going on out here on the West Coast. In fact, I'm just heading out again to yet another visit with one of the local communication types.

The IABC conference wrapped up Wednesday and it was a terrific event all around. I just haven't had time to sit down and write up some of the things I learned, but I may do that when I get back to Hamilton. I'm flying back on Saturday.

I've been in Victoria since Wednesday, when I rode over on a seaplane from Vancouver. The weather was absolutely gorgeous and it was a tremendous flight. I highly recommend taking it sometime, if you've never done it. I'm staying with Heather's midwifery partner here in Victoria. I had a chance to tour the new office, which is going to work out great.

While I'm here, I've also been checking out possible houses to rent (nothing too great so far) and meeting some of the local PR and Communication people that I can add to my network. Being a freelancer, a good network is critical to my job, and I've made some great contacts already, with plenty of other recommendations for people to meet when I return in September.

Proud Papa Update
Although I didn't plan it this way, my visit has also coincided with the Canadian Rowing Team's National speed trials, where Jaime has been competing this week. She's having a fabulous camp, in her attempt to land a spot on the Women's Under-23 National Team. If she does earn a spot, she'll be off to Belgium this July for the World Championships. But even if she doesn't end up in a boat, she's had a tremendous camp. Her times have been consistently good and she's rowing better than I've ever seen her do before. It's quite a thrill to be a part of it.

She's in the "C" final tonight (that's competing against everyone -- not just the Under 23's) so if I get a chance before I fly out tomorrow, I'll publish an update on her.

In the meantime, I'm off to network and watch Jaime's race.

UPDATE
Jaime just missed out on making the team. There were only two spots available and she came up a second or so short. But she had a great camp and feels she really learned a lot about herself and the whole process. And the good news is she already has her sights set on a new goal. She's going to come back to Hamilton for the summer and row at Leander and make a serious run for a gold medal at the Henley regatta in August. So Kelly and I are going to have some company this summer!


Technorati Tag:

No comments: