Friday, March 27, 2009

Let's stand up for small magazines

MR Coalition ad proof b.jpg
Here's a cause that I think most of us can get behind. (Click on the photo to see a larger view of the poster.) Small magazines and small presses have been a huge part of my life. This poster is being distributed here in Victoria by Susan Sanford Blades, one of the editors of The Malahat Review. She sent this to an editors' group that I belong to:
I'm writing from The Malahat Review on campus; we've been launching a campaign against the proposed federal cuts to small magazines, which will affect all literary magazines in Canada. I have a poster sized ad that we'll be running in our next issue, and I'm wondering if this could be printed off and put up on your bulletin board, or passed on to students in the creative writing courses? I'll attach it here. Please let me know what I can do with this, if I should forward this to creative writing professors, send hard copies to you, etc.
I think we should all send a letter to the Minister and one to our MP. As the poster mentions, you don't even have to put a stamp on the envelope.

Democracy is not easy - it takes work to keep it working.

No comments: