Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Firefox - A new look at browsers

Now I've done it. I've been trying out Firefox, which is a new Web Browser from Mozilla. It's an open source creation, and if that doesn't mean much to you, you might not be that interested in the rest of this post.

For years, I've used Internet Explorer to surf the web, putting up with many of the weird things it does, and worrying about security issues. Then I switched to a Mac and started using Safari, which I am very happy with. Safari is from Apple, and it's a really nice application.

But there's been a lot of buzz in the press about this new browser, so I thought I'd give it a try. One of the things that intrigued me was the ability to browse using tabbed pages. Safari also offers this, but for some reason I haven't been able to figure out how it works. But in Firefox, it's easy. And very effective. I find myself using Firefox almost exclusively now, although it's only been a couple of weeks.

My biggest problem is that I had built up a big batch of saved bookmarks in Safari...and now I'm adding new ones in Firefox. I wonder if there's a way to import or export one or the other? If anyone knows how I could bring my Safari bookmarks over to Firefox, I'd love to know. I'm still not sure whether I'll switch to Firefox permanently, but I'm liking it so far.

No comments: