Thursday, October 21, 2004

Fun and games with domains

If you're reading this...you must be a dedicated sort. And thanks. I've been switching domain name providers and website hosting companies, and it's proving to be a lot more difficult than I had expected. I wanted to move davetraynor.com so I started the transfer process, but my old provider wasn't happy about it. Sure, the transfer did go through, but my request to change the name server information was ignored.

So, when the transfer happened, all the extra services I was using, like automatic forwarding of e-mail info, domain name info, etc., ceased to function. But because the name servers are still listing the old company, there's nowhere for anyone looking for davetraynor.com to go. Oh well. It should all be fixed up in a day or so, then my website will be back up and running, with the links to this site working again, and my mail should be back on line. But it's kind of a drag to have to put up with all this.

We get so used to everything working fine that we're a bit stunned when something goes wrong and we can't fix it in seconds. Wait a whole day? Seems like a lifetime...maybe I need to go back and read some of my own posts about slowing down, life in the slow lane, yadda, yadda, yadda. Sure, that's easy for you to say...you've still got your e-mail connection!

No comments: