Monday, July 05, 2004

Taking a look at "spin"

Summer's here, and the blogging is spotty at best. I realize it's been awhile since the last Daily Upload. Maybe I need to think about changing the name of this blog! But what the heck...it's warm outside and while I might think about interesting stuff to put up, if I don't get around to it, I doubt any of you are going to complain too much. You're probably all too busy doing your own summertime things....

But here's something interesting. Since the election campaign wrapped up in Canada, our attention (and our media) is going to be increasingly dominated by the Presidential campaign of our southern neighbours. There's going to be a lot of stuff flowing around and it's going to be increasingly difficult for readers to separate fact from fiction.

That leads to an interesting question on just what "objective" journalism means and how we might need to redefine that term in today's information-rich, always-on, 24-hour news cycle world.

Here's an interesting story from the Columbia Journalism Review that sets up the issue. I relate to this as an old political reporter. But believe me, compared to the pressures that today's reporters are facing on the campaign trail, I look like I was living in another world, even though is was only 10 years ago!

Discussions about the role of the reporter in today's political environment is a fascinating area, and it's something I'm going to be keeping my own log on during the months ahead.

No comments: